Sunday, November 22, 2009

Did I hurt your self-esteen? I'm sorry, but ...

Sometimes I hear that we professors should not criticize our students or give them low grades because it hurts their self-esteem. I certainly don't want to do that. But I teach in a business school in the University. I'm preparing you for a career in business. Since I was in business myself for quite a while, I can tell you that when you start your career, it's unlikely anyone you work with will give a darn about your self-esteen. In fact, there are plenty of people in the business world who will happily destroy your self-esteem on the theory that will advance their careers over yours. So get used to criticism from your professors. We're preparing you for the "real world." Develop a "thick skin" as they say.

1 comment:

  1. I agree and also believe it's you against the world once you get in the "real world" and no one but yourself has your back. I like the techniques you use in your classes with the margins, heading, etc. I know kids complain but those are the kids that don't realize that someone somewhere will fire you without that heading or without that margin.

    ReplyDelete