Thursday, September 3, 2009

Read any good magazines lately?

Read a magazine article once in a while. It will help you get better grades. How? Well, the more you read, the better your writing will become. There aren't many student papers that are enjoyable reading, and if yours is one the professor might just give you a better grade. But to be enjoyable, you have to know how to write clear, interesting prose. Unlike Web pages, most magazine articles are clear and interesting, because they are edited by professionals with that aim in mind. Also, if you read a magazine that is about your field of study, such as Business Week or Fortune if you're a business student, you'll discover that what your professors are talking about is "real world" stuff. Your school work will be more interesting if you read a magazine once in a while.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip! Reading well-written articles helps you get in the habit of good grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading magazines and newspapers. I actually keep a random selection on my coffee table, from Fortune to Vogue to the Danbury NewsTimes plus a few others like DMNews.

    I typically flip through when I have a chance usually as I'm eating. It does help my vocabulary and keeps me informed. I just read an interesting article in The Economist called – Brazil Takes Off.

    Plus as you read these articles, you'll find some great conversation starters, so I encourage people and students alike to read some newspaper or magazine.

    ReplyDelete